Tuesday 6 October 2015

Natale a Venezia


So, why have I started with a photo of Venice in winter?
Because I am going there at Christmas for a 4 night break, and I am soooo excited! I have never been before and after speaking to people who have been I decided it was best to go during winter when there are 50% fewer tourists there. We leave the house on Christmas day to drive to London Heathrow, where we will stay overnight then fly out first thing on Boxing day. It will be lovely to get all wrapped up in cosy hats, scarves and gloves and go exploring round this magical city.
Do you also know that it is only 79 days to Christmas?? I think I enjoy all the pre Christmas shopping and preparation as much as the day itself. Am I mad??
Anyway, back to business............

I finished off the Charles Rennie Mackintosh high back chair. I searched the internet to try to find some info about it, but I can't find another one anywhere, and I am starting to think it may be a unique one off hand made item? I really like it and I love Mackintosh design but after trying it in every room downstairs in my house I simply have nowhere to put it, so it's listed for sale now. I did find a similar chair that may have inspired it.
This stunning painted wood high back chair was  made for the a room set designed by Charles and his wife for the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art  in Turin in April 1902 They called their room set the "Rose Boudoir".


I also finished off the monochrome retro chest of drawers by waxing the cabinet and buffing to a soft satin sheen. Also listed for sale now.
I cleaned all the glass for the many frames I have been painting and printed off some pictures to finish them off. I will sell the Alice in Wonderland frames as a set.
And the others individually. I always worry about sending fragile items like this in the post, as the "cats in hats" frame I painted last month was totally wrecked by Royal Mail. Not only was the glass broken, the frame was also badly damaged. Such a shame after all my work :(
Here are some of the other ones I finished on Sunday .....


I will just need to pack them really well, use FRAGILE packing tape, and keep my fingers crossed!!
The blue bathroom cabinet I painted a few months ago didn't sell, and I think it was due to the bright colour, so I am going to repaint in white to see if that makes a difference. I will still use the pretty shell knob I bought as it really finishes it off and makes it unique.
The car boot sales are all stopping now for the winter, so I may have to rely on ebay and charity warehouses for things to paint. They are a bit more expensive, but I have been really lucky lately and have found a lot of really nice quality furniture. Last weekend I picked up a nice dining set, with 6 chairs from a lovely old school house in a village nearby.
The seat pads are very "used" so I will strip them down and re-cover them in a nice patterned fabric. The table top also needs sanded back to remove ring marks, scratches etc, and I will refinish it with a dark wood stain I think. It is a very sturdy set, and I can't wait to transform it!
Today I won an auction for a fab welsh dresser .....
Isn't it a beauty!! Picking it up on Saturday afternoon. I have bought quite a few pieces lately so I'd better get cracking so the workshop doesn't fill up again. I already have a glazed dresser in my lounge waiting for a revamp.
I am off work this Friday so I hope the weather is nice so I can do some sanding outside before it gets too cold.

Have a good week!!








No comments:

Post a Comment