Sunday 11 October 2015

I am in love...with a TABLE !!

I am in love....with a table!!!
On Friday I sanded down the top of my new G Plan retro table. I discovered a little burn I hadn't noticed before and thought I could sand it away, but all I succeeded in doing was sanding right through the veneer :( 
Thankfully it's not too noticeable now that it has been sealed, and it is now in my dining room with my new chairs, and I think it looks amazing. Even Russell keeps saying "Wow, I love that table" :)

While I had the sander out I also made a start to the table I picked up last weekend. I thought it was solid wood, but it is actually veneer so I had to be careful sanding in case I sanded through the veneer.
A light sand removed all the marks and varnish. I decided to try something new with this one. I watered down some white chalk paint and applied with a brush all over the surface.
Then using a clean damp cloth I wiped the paint off leaving the white in the grain to give a lime washed look. It worked really well, and once dry I rubbed in some clear wax to seal. I will give it another couple of coats for protection.
I removed the seat pads from the six chairs. These will be reupholstered in a coordinating fabric. I decided to paint in Annie Sloan Versailles, and thought this John Lewis floral fabric would match.
Maybe a bit dark though, so I have ordered some nice retro fabric today from ebay, and I will decide once it arrives.
The chairs needed two coats, and after painting six chairs twice my arm was nearly falling off !!

The base and legs of the table will also be painted in Versailles. I may lightly distress.
Can't wait to see this one all finished, I think it's going to look fantastic! I should get it finished and up for sale next weekend.
The lady who bought the round dining set from me recently asked me if I could find her a plant stand, and paint in the same colour to match the table and chairs. I found this nice one last week. It needed a bit of repair, so I fixed it last weekend and clamped it up for the glue to fully set. I painted it yesterday, starting off upside down so as not to miss anywhere.

Once dry I will very lightly distress, then seal with Annie Sloan clear wax. I really like the wavy edge on top. It's a lovely shape.
We picked up the welsh dresser yesterday. It was tight fit getting it into the back of the X5, but we made it! Just have to decide on a colour!!
Today we got up early and went to the car boot sale at Weston. Even if we don't see much to buy I always enjoy the fresh air on a Sunday morning. I saw this fantastic retro japanese camping heater.
I haven't the foggiest idea what I am going to do with it, but when the seller said I could have it for £1 how could I NOT buy it!?! I also bought this retro look clock. If it doesn't work I will use it to dress my retro furniture for sale.
The only other thing I bought was a couple of atlases, one was 50p and the other 10p! I will think of a project to use the printed maps. I feel some decoupage coming on !

Sundays are never long enough for me, and it was starting to get dark around 6pm tonight. Thank goodness I have Fridays off work now.

Have a great week!











No comments:

Post a Comment