Sunday 2 June 2013

Bank Holidays and Bargains!

First of all, apologies for not blogging last weekend. I just didn't have time as it was the bank holiday weekend and I was so busy! Went shopping in Derby on Sunday and then the cinema to see the new Star Trek movie, which was epic :0) That big dining room order was collected on the Friday too so it was nice to have a break!
 
 
Ok, updates now on this week's transformations. I showed you a pine corner cabinet I bought on ebay.Here are the before and after pics
 
 
I painted in Annie Sloan Old White then distressed and sealed with a mix of clear and dark wax.
 
 
To finish it off I added a fabulous cream porcelain knob with gold spots!
My second project last week was the two Ducal chests of drawers that I bought on ebay. These are so well made and a joy to paint. They even have castors to make it easy to move them around
 
 
I decided to paint them both in Annie Sloan Versailles just in case someone wanted them as a set, and I was right to do so as they both sold within a few hours of being listed on ebay, and will be picked up this week.
 
 
I left the original handles but brightened them up with some gilding wax, makes such a difference, and can save you money replacing old tarnished looking handles.
 
 
 
What a transformation! Like new!
 
This week I also bought a bedside cabinet in ebay, but when I went to collect it I was surprised how tiny it was! My own fault for not checking the measurements on the listing! However, it grew on me and I now think it is really cute! It would look nice in a child's bedroom so I decided to mix a new colour, with Old White/Old Violet, and made a soft lavender shade which I love. Here is the before..
 
 
It is solid wood and has quite rustic looking handles on the drawers that add character. I went for a two tone look and painted the drawer fronts and middle storage section in Old White.
 
Always start upside down
 
First coat
 
Painted insides of drawers lavender
 
Heavy distressing for shabby, aged look
 
 I also used the aging wax and distressed quite heavily to give an old French look. Another one I would keep if I could
 
 
 
So as you can see, another busy week. I will be starting work the week after next so making the most of my time off. We went to a brilliant car boot sale this morning and I got loads of bargains and spent less than £20!! Here are just some of my latest purchases. I just could not believe the prices that people were letting things go for today, must be the nice weather!!!
 
My friend saw one of these in a shop for over £100!
 
Nice shabby chic lamp with shade
 
Gold plaster shabby chic mirror - 50p!!
 
Might paint these white
 
Nice large plaster mirror
 
spice rack - 50p
 
Waste paper bin - £1
 
Nice little ornate table with drawer ready for a make over!
My next project will be the big sideboard I bought a few weeks ago, and then the table above. I also still have the 6 dining chairs and table in the shed :0)
 
If you haven't already, you should check out Pinterest. It's a brilliant way of keeping photos and ideas in one place, a bit like putting clippings on a pin board. Loads of really cool ideas and a brilliant search engine. I warn you now though, it is very addictive, and I have been on every day since I set up my account.
 
 
Right, time for bed now, it has been a long day, up early for the car boot sale this morning, and friends round for dinner, but I couldn't miss doing my blog 2 weeks in a row.
 
Hope you have a lovely week, and please leave a comment or feel free to ask any questions.
I would love to hear from you :0)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment