Saturday 26 January 2013

My Week's Holiday....NOT!!!!

What a good week to take off work. The snow from last weekend is still here, and we had more last night. I have stayed in and painted all week and it has been brilliant!!I painted and waxed the retro furniture I bought for the spare room, and picked up the beautiful Laura Ashley wallpaper today and it matches perfectly! Here is the chest of drawers -

Painted in Old White

Keeping original handles
Adding the wallpaper on top
sneak preview of finished item


I pasted the top of the chest of drawers then put the paper on, but I think I should maybe have pasted the paper (as instructed on the roll). It has wrinkled quite a lot and I am just hoping that they will come out as it dries.
The wardrobe was straightforward - 2 coats of Annie Sloan Old White then a coat of clear wax. There are two panels on the front on each side of the door, and depending on how the paper works on the chest of drawers, I might add paper to the panels to tie these two pieces in. Here are some pics of the wardrobe transformation (I love taking these pics)

Before
During
After

Matches so well !

I will post transformation pics of the chest of drawers as soon as it is finished. Just hope the creases come out of the paper. I also have this gorgeous mirror to hang in the room. I picked it up at car boot for £4!!! Don't think I will paint this as I love the old gold colour.



I had a mini disaster on Monday morning. I was painting the wardrobe and had just finished off a pot of Old White. I went to the shed to get another, and there was none! I had taken a week off work to get this furniture painted and had run out of the colour I needed! Thankfully my paint supplier came to my rescue. I placed an order on Monday and it arrived at 10am on Tuesday morning, even with the snow! They are brilliant - a shop in Kent called Dovetails. I would highly recommend them if you don't have a local supplier like me.
Anyway, on to the other things I have been working on this week.
Firstly I painted two coats of Old White on the wee chair I got at the car boot sale -


I am still deciding whether to stencil or freehand the design I want to put on. I will post pics at different stages once I have made up my mind.

I had two of these retro Ercol style chair in the shed. Bought them last year at a car boot sale. I showed you the grey one last week, which sold quickly on ebay for £14. I painted the second one in Old Violet and have put a coat of wax on it today. Once I have buffed it up I will list it too.

Annie Sloan Old Violet


I also have three farmhouse pine chairs in the shed and I decided to try out the new Duck Egg Blue shade I bought on one of them. I wanted the pine to show through so only used one coat. I then sanded to distress, and waxed. Listed it on ebay and it sold straight away!





The girl who bought it also bought a painted plaster mirror I was selling (sold cheaper as there were a couple of cracks in it) and she got the two items for £25. She came to pick them up the same day and was telling me that she would like to try the furniture painting herself. She has bought a little table to try it out on, so I showed the projects I was working on and how the Annie Sloan paint works so well with the wax and gives such a lovely finish. She left very happy with a spare paint chart I had and details of Dovetails (supplier).

Also started a few other projects this week. I hate doing nothing when I am waiting for paint to dry between coats. An oval coffee table I got in a charity shop for £3, an old swing mirror I paid £4 for at car boot, and a wooden cutlery tray (£1)


I decided to add some of my new wallpaper to the cutlery tray, and I think it looks very pretty. I have still to wax this one. I might have to keep it for myself. :0)



It is Saturday today so I have one more day off before I go back to work. It has been an amazing week, and I have accomplished everything I set out to achieve. I cant wait till it starts getting lighter in the evenings so I can spend more time painting. It is still getting dark around 4.30. Roll on Summer!!

Saw these silly pigeons having a bath in a puddle in Crewe this morning and just had to take a pic!



Have a great week, and please feel free to ask me anything, or leave a comment :0)
Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment