Monday 2 July 2012

Painting, Photography & Holidays!!

This week I was asked by a colleague at work to shabby chic a large mirror for her. I thought this would be a good project to try out the new Annie Sloan paint colour I bought - PURE. It is much whiter than Old White, and I really like it!


Sorry I dont have a good pic of it (at the back on this one). You can also see the dressing table I am painting in Old White. I should get it finished and listed next weekend and I have painted up a mirror to go with it. I will post pics of the finished projects next week.

Good news is I have a bid on the Paris Grey sideboard on eBay. The auction ends midweek so happy with that. We headed out on Sunday morning to Hanley car boot sale, but it was a dreary cold, wet day and there were not as many stalls as usual. I did pick up this pretty little polka dot jug.

I did some investigating when I got home, and it is from a local pottery here in Stoke on Trent. It is Empire Ware - Polka Dot design, and is 8" tall. These were made round about 1954-57. It is in really good condition so I am hoping it will go to a nice new home

I also bought a beautiful Overmantle Mirror, which I also have listed on eBay
I could have bought more furniture but I really have to concentrate on painting up the items I have already

  I work full time as a Senior Administrator at the UK's leading Mental health charity - Rethink Mental Illness. The service I work for is called Healthy Minds Network. We are based in Stoke on Trent, and treat people with mild to moderate depression with CBT based self help treatments. It is a fantastic place to work. We are currently moving to new office premises and my boss has given me free reign to order some new furniture and jazz up the office space. I have been out with my colleague Hayley taking photographs of local potteries and heritage sites, and we plan to have them blown up onto A0 size canvasses to decorate the Board Room, offices and hallways. Thought you might like a look at some of the wonderful sites we have close by.

Canal behind Emma Bridgewater Factory

Gladstone Pottery Museum, Longton

Gladstone Pottery, Longton

Old Pottery Kiln at Longton
I have always loved taking photographs, and studied photography as part of my design course at college when I was younger. I signed up for a Flickr account on Yahoo at the weekend and hope to post some pics on there soon. My husband says I have too many hobbies, but I just dont see how that is possible !


Can't believe it is next month that we head off for our Summer holiday, will be nice to head off to the sun as our summer still hasn't materialised yet in the UK ! 
First stop, New York for 3 nights. The last time we visited was for Christmas in 2010 and they had freak snowstorms which left snow over 2' deep! It will be nice to see it in the summer. We then fly to Florida for the rest of our break :-) starting with 2 nights at The Atlantic Bay Resort in Tavernier near Key Largo

Atlantic Bay Resort, Tavernier

 I will write a holiday blog with loads of pics when I get back, we are just so excited. We leave on 30th August for 2 weeks.

Hope you have a good week, and please leave me a comment if you visit. I have noticed that most of my webpage hits are in the USA. I would love to hear from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment